- How do you efficiently manage the process of developing a new formulation/product?
- How do you improve the performance of an existing formulation/product in a timely manner?
- How do you replace/improve supply chain ingredients of existing formulations/products?
Common Challenges in materials development
- New materials development requires formulations/recipes as well as manufacturing processes.
- Data is highly multidimensional and hierarchical and requires long and tedious experimentation cycles to obtain.
- For the most part, designing the next experiment is a result of trial and error rather than data-driven methodology and this causes long time to market and large efforts and costs
- Transforming raw lab data into an AI/ML ready format requires much effort and expertise resulting in very low and inefficient use of materials informatics tools
- Materials development requires too many experiments and iterations to reach the desired performance target. This is a waste of time and resources.
- Lost information. Not every result is recorded, leading to less than perfect predictive models and waste of time and resources.
The value proposition of MaterialsZone
- Drastically reduces the number of experiment iterations to optimize the formulation performance through efficient design of experiments. This results in reduced R&D costs and faster time to market for materials development.
- Focuses on parameters (variables) that really matter.
- Rapid accumulation of knowledge and predictability.
- Easy application of AI/ML visualizations, insights and predictions.
- One platform, all the data, all the insights, all the stakeholders (R&D, scale-up, manufacturing QC, supply chain alternatives selection).
- No loss of knowledge.
The advantages of a Materials Informatics Platform (MIP)?
- Flexible data model that supports multiple dimensions, multiple types of data and any hierarchical nesting and association inherent in materials data.
- Flexibility to accumulate data incrementally and continuously while the AI/ML insights and visualizations update as well.
- Easily applied AI/ML visualizations, insights and predictability.
- Simple workflow (figure 1) to obtain the desired results in the shortest way possible.
MaterialsZone solution for Materials Development
Formulations are everywhere - polymers, building materials, composites, additive manufacturing, etc. Formulation development is the basis of companies developing materials-based products. In formulation-based products, usually the product performance depends on the product formulation and less on processing.
Typically, designing or developing a new formulation is triggered by new product specifications to meet. Along with product specification come constraints on the materials to use, processing constraints, etc.
To avoid trial-and-error methodology and stick with a data-driven approach, MaterialsZone has developed an efficient workflow (figure 1) for formulation development that will reduce your R&D efforts and significantly reduce the number of experiments and iterations needed to reach the desired formulation.
Other MaterialsZone solutions include:
- Materials data management
- Plastics Innovation
- Design of experiment
- Formulations development
- Materials selection – supply chain
- Manufacturing scale-up
- Materials manufacturing QC (six-sigma)
- Digital materials/product catalog